Have you lived with white spots on your teeth? They may have been there since childhood, and perhaps you've wondered where they came from, and why they don't go away when you brush your teeth? If you're interested in white spot removal in Missoula, here's what you need to know.
What Causes White Spots?
There are a number of things that white spots such as:
- Dental Fluorosis - This typically develops when you consume too much fluoride as a child when your teeth are developing.
- Enamel Hypoplasia - This happens when tooth enamel doesn't develop properly, typically in children.
- Poor Dental Hygiene
- Consumption of Sugary or Acidic Foods
While they may diminish the aesthetics of your smile, white spots do not cause any other harm, aside from enamel hypoplasia, which could increase your risk of developing tooth decay.
What are My Options for Treatment of White Spots?
There are a number of effective options for diminishing the appearance of the white spots. Depending on the severity of your case, your dentist may recommend:
- Professional Teeth Whitening - Your dentist has access to whitening products that are stronger and more effective than over-the-counter products.
- Fluoride - In cases of enamel hypoplasia, fluoride is sometimes effective in helping teeth strengthen during development.
- A Dental Veneer - A veneer is a thin layer of porcelain designed to fit over your tooth and cover imperfections like white spots.
- Cosmetic Bonding - Composite resin can also be used to bond directly over the problem areas on your teeth.
- Resin Infiltration - A non-invasive procedure that helps diminish the appearance of white spots
White Spot Tooth Treatment in Missoula
Would you like to feel confident about your smile again? If you have stubborn white spots on your teeth, Dr. Nelson would be happy to assess your condition and determine which treatment option would best suit your needs. Give Nelson Dentistry a call today to schedule a consultation.