How long do I have to wait to eat after my dental appointment?
It depends. But typically right away if you'd like. Let's break down the details though:
- Routine Cleaning: You're in the clear to eat right away. However, if you needed fluoride varnish, then stay away from hot liquids for the next half hour (sorry coffee drinkers!).
- Gum Therapy: You might have needed to get numb for this, be really careful to not bite your lip, cheeks, or tongue!
- Tooth-Colored Composite Filling: We use a special "flashlight" to cure the composite as hard as it's going to get, so you're safe to use it like regular.
- Silver-Colored Amalgam Filling: These take time to harden completely. When you leave they are pretty hard, but you should still "baby" them with soft foods for the next 24 hours.
- Temporary Crowns: These are... well... temporary. So they're not meant to be as rugged as the permanent crown. This means that they come off easier (which is good for when we want to replace them with the permanent) and they're not as strong. So extra care must be given to avoid sticky and hard foods.
- Permanent Crowns: These are tough and pretty, the only thing to remember is that the cement usually needs some time to completely set. Avoid sticky foods for the rest of the day.
Dental Services in Missoula MT
Give our team a call today to get to know our friendly dental team, and book a cleaning, exam, or consultation! We are currently accepting new patients.